About the Emergency
Ongoing conflict between the Government of Israel and Hamas has led to substantial loss of life in Israel and Gaza, and destruction of infrastructure, and displacement of hundreds of thousands of people across Gaza. Humanitarian needs in Gaza are expected to grow significantly in the days and weeks ahead. Humanitarian organizations are working to provide water, food, medical services, shelter, and other critical relief to those affected by this ongoing conflict.
How You Can Help
Send cash donations to reputable relief organizations working on the ground. They can make the most difference and save the most lives. Detailed information on how relief organizations use donations can be found at: GiveWell, Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, and the Better Business Bureau. Below are some organizations responding to humanitarian needs in the region.
- American Near East Refugee Aid (Anera)
- Catholic Relief Services
- Humanity and Inclusion
- International Medical Corps
- Life for Relief and Development
- Plan International USA
- Project HOPE
- UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- UN Population Fund (UNFPA)
- UN World Food Program
- UN World Health Organization (WHO)
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, one in four Americans volunteered for an organization at least once during the course of a year. However, there are a few things that would-be disaster volunteers should stop and consider before getting on a plane.
* Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) of non-U.S.Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. USAID CIDI does not exercise editorial control over any of the information that you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.