About the Emergency
On February 24, 2022, the Government of the Russian Federation launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Since then, the war has caused large-scale population displacement with millions of people fleeing their homes and widespread damage to civilian infrastructure including facilities critical to medical and humanitarian assistance. One year on, the United Nations estimates that 17.6 million people in Ukraine will need some form of humanitarian assistance in 2023 and is appealing for $3.9 billion to reach over 11 million of those in need.
The United States is committed to supporting humanitarian assistance to save lives and meet the urgent needs of people affected by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. More information on the U.S. Government’s humanitarian activities in Ukraine can be found here.
How You Can Help
Send cash donations to reputable relief organizations working on the ground. They can make the most difference and save the most lives. Detailed information on how relief organizations use donations can be found at: GiveWell, Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, and the Better Business Bureau. For companies that want to help, here is a business guide with tips. Below are organizations responding in Ukraine.
- ADRA International
- Catholic Relief Services
- Concern Worldwide US
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN
- GOAL USA Fund
- HelpAge USA
- Humanity & Inclusion
- International Medical Corps
- International Organization for Migration
- International Rescue Committee
- Islamic Relief USA
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, one in four Americans volunteered for an organization at least once during the course of a year. However, there are a few things that would-be disaster volunteers should stop and consider before getting on a plane.
InterAction is an alliance of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) based in Washington, D.C. whose 180-plus members work globally.
GlobalGiving is the first and largest global crowdfunding community that connects nonprofits, donors, and companies worldwide.
* Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) of non-U.S.Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. USAID CIDI does not exercise editorial control over any of the information that you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.