About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
An outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus was first detected in China in December 2019 and has now been detected in more than 100 locations throughout the world, including the United States. The new coronavirus is part of a family of viruses that includes the common cold, and viruses such as SARS and MERS. The disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”). On March 11, the World Health Organization (WHO) publicly characterized COVID-19 as a pandemic, and on March 13, the President of the United States declared the COVID-19 outbreak a national emergency. For more information on COVID-19, please visit: https://www.coronavirus.gov.
USAID is actively assisting countries that are affected by COVID-19, working directly with governments, multilateral organizations, NGOs and other organizations responding on the ground to combat the outbreak. More information on USAID’s COVID-19 response can be found here: https://www.usaid.gov/coronavirus.
For additional information on the U.S. Government COVID-19 response, please visit: https://www.usa.gov/coronavirus.
How You Can Help
Cash donations to reputable organizations that are responding to COVID-19 are the most effective way to help. Cash donations will enable these organizations to buy critically-needed supplies, including personal protective equipment for front line workers.
- Cash donations can make the most difference and save the most lives. Here’s how.
- For companies that want to help, here is USAID private sector guidance and a business guide with tips.
- If you are interested in volunteering, this page has what you need to know.
- Detailed information on how relief organizations use donations can be found at: GiveWell, Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, and the Better Business Bureau.
Organizations Responding to Coronavirus
- Humanity & Inclusion
- IMA World Health
- International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- International Medical Corps
- IntraHealth International
- Lutheran World Relief
- Management Sciences for Health
- Medical Teams International
- Mercy Corps
- Mercy-USA for Aid and Development
- NuDay Syria
* Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) of non-U.S.Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. USAID CIDI does not exercise editorial control over any of the information that you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.