About the Emergency
On February 6, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck central southern Türkiye, close to the Syrian border, followed by dozens of violent aftershocks. The earthquakes have resulted in tens of thousands of deaths in Türkiye and Syria and affected millions of people.
In response, USAID deployed a Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) to lead the U.S. government’s response efforts in support of the Government of Türkiye and humanitarian partners in Syria. The DART will conduct disaster assessments, identify urgent humanitarian needs, assist with search and rescue operations, and work with partners on the ground to save lives.
How You Can Help
Send cash donations to reputable relief organizations working on the ground. They can make the most difference and save the most lives. Detailed information on how relief organizations use donations can be found at: GiveWell, Charity Navigator, Charity Watch, and the Better Business Bureau. NeedsList is also working to identify needs from aid groups and match them with organizations wanting to donate. Below are some organizations responding in Türkiye and Syria.
- American Relief Coalition for Syria
- Association of Volunteers in International Services, USA
- Concern Worldwide
- Global Communities
- HelpAge USA
- Humanity & Inclusion
- International Medical Corps
- Jesuit Refugee Service USA
- Life for Relief and Development
- Lutheran World Relief
- Mennonite Central Committee
The business community is also mobilizing resources for this response. For companies that want to help, here is a business guide with tips.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, one in four Americans volunteered for an organization at least once during the course of a year. However, there are a few things that would-be disaster volunteers should stop and consider before getting on a plane.
InterAction is an alliance of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) based in Washington, D.C. whose 180-plus members work globally.
GlobalGiving is the first and largest global crowdfunding community that connects nonprofits, donors, and companies worldwide.
* Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) of non-U.S.Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. USAID CIDI does not exercise editorial control over any of the information that you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.