Welcome to USAID CIDI’s Smart Compassion Tool Kit! And thank you for your interest in making a big, positive difference in the lives of people who are affected by disasters. The desire to help is an important first step. Desire plus information enables you to maximize your benevolence – to people affected by disasters, the relief workers who help them, and response operations overall. Knowledge is the key to this multiplier effect, and this tool kit gives you what you need to be a practitioner and an ambassador of Smart Compassion. You can help to save lives and reduce human suffering after disasters by sharing proven guidance within your community, schools, parishes, sororities and fraternities about needs-based assistance and how Smart Compassion does more good for more people more quickly and with less hassle and expense for donors and relief workers. Sound good? It is enormously good. Here are a few tools to get started:
Know what relief workers know
- Read USAID CIDI’s Fact Sheet to learn more about the surprising impacts of disaster donations and how to implement the best giving practices on behalf of survivors.
- Have a question? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page. If you don’t find your answer there, feel free to email USAID CIDI or call our hotline at 202.821.1999.
- Use our template to write a letter to the editor when you read articles in your neighborhood newsletters, community newspapers, or national newspapers about individuals or organizations who are donating unrequested material items. They want to do what’s best, and you can tell them how!
Repurpose with a purpose
- Learn how to convert unneeded material donations into valuable charitable contributions with USAID CIDI’s “55 Ways to Repurpose a Material Donation“. Share the information and do good locally and internationally.
- If fundraising is your thing, check out and share “100 Ways to Raise Funds for International Disaster Relief” (credit jeano). From bake sales to flash mobs, you can have fun while doing good.
- Want to localize the message? Select one of our print PSAs to convey the best way for your community to support international disaster relief. You can customize the PSA to suit the needs of your organization or a local effort. Also, be sure to visit USAID CIDI’s “Guidelines” for sharing with others who want to do lasting good in the most effective ways.
These tools in your hands can make a positive difference for people affected by disasters, and for others like you who want to help. Thank you for partnering with us and with relief workers everywhere to save lives and reduce human suffering all over the world.
Online Banner Ads- Baseball Glove